aboutfoodfashionexercisecontact

Sunday, January 12, 2014

Fitness: January 12- 18

Sunday have always been one of my favorite days of the week. It's the last chance to rest and get ready for the work week ahead. This Sunday is extra great with the Panthers playing today and the Golden Globes tonight! I absolutely adore Amy Polehler and Tina Fey. I can't wait to see their antics this year!


So, this week marks the second week of my marathon training! As I mentioned last week, this is not my first go at marathon training so I am very familiar with  long mid-week runs followed by extra-long weekend runs. The main difference is that I am determined to make it to race day this training!

About 6 weeks out from my marathon, I began getting severe cramps in my left knee when I went on long runs. It started around mile 8 and would not subside.  I remember limping to my car after my run was over thinking it was just overuse and my legs being tired. Unfortunately, the pain never went away and come Monday morning I was still noticeably limping to work. By mid-week the pain would subside but would come back with a vengeance the next long run.  After going to the doctor and getting a MRI on my knee they declared nothing was wrong with me.  I backed off my mileage and tried to continue running. After a few painful runs later I went to a sports physical therapist.  He told me that it was not my knee that was injured but my IT band was so tight it was pulling at my knee cap causing the pain.  I went weekly for almost a month but missed several important training runs and was still in a severe amount of pain come race day. Eventually, I was able to heal with strengthening exercises and a lot of foam rolling.

I am being extra cautious this time around to help prevent unnecessary injury. I have already built my mileage up quite before going into marathon training. I also stretch daily and am trying to foam roll at least twice a week. I have also been continuing to do strengthening exercises for my ankles and legs. Bring it on Rock in Raleigh!

Weekly Workouts
Sunday: Rest
Monday: 4 miles & Lower Body
Tuesday:  3 miles & Upper Body
Wednesday:  Body Attack
Thursday: 5 miles
Friday: HIIT & Total Body
Saturday: 8 miles

Any tips for go round?
Signature

2 comments:

  1. A foam roller was the ONLY thing I could find that worked for my IT band. Looking forward to following your training! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Rock n Roll marathon sounds so fun! My roommate from college has been begging me to sign up but haven't quite made my mind up yet.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I always love seeing what my readers have to say! Please make sure your email address is set up with your profile so that I am able to respond to you. If you have a specific question please feel free to email me at sweetcarolinabelle@gmail.com.