aboutfoodfashionexercisecontact

Sunday, August 4, 2013

Food & Fitness: August 4- 10

Food
Starting this week I am embarking on a 21 day detox challenge. The cleanse focuses on fueling your body with whole foods and gives your body a chance to reset into a clean-eating lifestyle. I try and aim for a lean, clean and green diet daily. However, I have been lax and enjoying a bit too much this summer with vacations, cookouts and celebrations. This 21 day challenge is a great way for me to reset and be ready for fall. The challenge eliminates the most common food sensitives many of which have been shown to cause inflammation, cravings and bloating.  Off limits foods include sugar, caffeine, red meat and poultry, alcohol, gluten, dairy, corn and whey protein. This cleanse is hosted by two of my favorite bloggers Bobbi and Amanda.


Alongside of the support of Bobbi and Amanda, I am using Kris Carr's book Crazy, Sexy Diet as a guideline. The book details each food category and why they can be so toxic for your body. I highly recommend it if you suspect you are struggling with food intolerance or are just interested in learning more about food and nutrition. 

Below is the grocery list I made to go by for the net 21 days. Most of these are staple items I strive to have in my fridge or pantry.

GRAINS AND PROTEIN
brown rice
quinoa (also a protein source)
black beans
cannelini beans
lentils
chickpeas
raw almonds
raw cashews
walnuts
almond butter

VEGGIES/HERBS
kale
lettuces
onions
garlic
cilantro
parsley
tomatoes 
various other vegetables (broccoli, brussels sprouts, sweet potatoes)

CONDIMENTS/FLAVORINGS
extra-virgin olive oil
coconut oil
black pepper
sea salt
turmeric
cinnamon
red pepper flakes
maple syrup
tamari (instead of soy sauce)
stevia
dijon mustard
apple cider vinegar
red wine vinegar

FRUITS
lemons
avocado
grapefruit
apples
varied other fruits (berries, melon, mango, grapes)

SNACKS/OTHER
hummus
ezekiel bread

BEVERAGES
coconut water
kombucha 
herbal teas
almond milk
to add into smoothies: gogi berries, chia seeds, hemp seeds, cacao powder, maca powder

Instead of a meal plan this week, I have decided to find a few staple recipes. Most of these recipes would make great leftovers to bring to work or as a side for dinner the next day. 

Quinoa Stuffed Peppers

Quinoa Fruit Salad

Zucchini Pizza

Fitness
I am officially on the third week of insanity. I completed the second fit test yesterday and was excited to see my cardio and strength go up 15- 20% on each exercise. This program is not for beginners or the faint of heart. My body has been screaming at me all week. I foresee lots of stretching and foam rolling over the next two weeks to help my sore muscles. Completing this workout program is really pushing my mental endurance. When I feel like I am too sore to workout or want to rest through the exercises I remind myself that it is less than an hour out of the day to be uncomfortable. I started this program to change my body and change comes from being uncomfortable. 


Workout Schedule 
Sunday: Pylometric Cardio Circuit
Monday: Pure Cardio & Cardio Abs  
Tuesday: Cardio Recovery w. Strength Training
Wednesday: Cardio Power & Resistance w. Strength Training
Thursday: Plyometic Cardio Circuit w. Stength Training
Friday: Rest
Saturday: Pure Cardio & Cardio Abs 

Signature

2 comments:

  1. I'm excited to hear how the cleanse goes! I've been thinking about doing one for a while now. Love that last quote - so much of exercise is mental!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl, you've inspired me today! I need to hit the gym tonight for sure!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I always love seeing what my readers have to say! Please make sure your email address is set up with your profile so that I am able to respond to you. If you have a specific question please feel free to email me at sweetcarolinabelle@gmail.com.